Wednesday, January 23, 2008

...When You Can Make it Yourself

Have you guys seen Cloverfield? I went with my mom for her birthday, which is really funny if you know my mom. Anyway, I'm not going to talk about it too much, because of spoilers and stuff (and everything I could say has been said like, a bajillion times). Can I just say to those haters out there though, that I find the work of JJ Abrams to be very comforting, in the way that all his projects have a distinct JJ-ness about them. See, I saw Cloverfield because I watch Lost because I watched Alias because I watched Felicity.

Anyway!

The whole catch of Cloverfield is that it's "found" footage. It plays just as it would if I took a tape from a HandyCam and played it on the camera. No editing, no soundtrack, no cinematic tampering. You can imagine my surprise when I open up iTunes today and see that they are shilling a Cloverfield Soundtrack. "What the frak?!" I said as I immediately clicked on the be-headed Lady Lib. Turns out it's the songs that are playing on the apartment stereo during the opening party scene. And, in a last-ditch attempt at embracing irony, the soundtrack is being marketed as "Rob's Party Mix." Get it? I mean, who wouldn't want to pay $9.99 to have a bootleg bootleg CD? I gotta get me one of those "mixes" the kids are talking about right away! Because nothing says monster movie like "Beautiful Girl" by Sean Kingston.

No comments: