Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Ad Aware

So today marks the live launch of shopvogue.tv. I'm sure you've had it marked on your Chanel Through the Decades calendar for the past three months, right? Yeah, me neither. Vogue is for catty whores and Wet Seal groupies who think wearing ankle boots makes you a fashionista.

Still, I have heard surprisingly good things in the past few hours about this new site, so I decided to check it out. I'm shocked to say this, but I could probably spend a complete hour or so browsing the site (which is more than I can say for the odd issue of Vogue). I think the site is actually pretty genius. The idea is that you can "shop your way through Vogue," which really means you can see how much things in the ads from Vogue cost. If this was actually how they advertised the site, I would have been peeing my pants to check it out. It's my curious nature being catered to by those who have been taunting it for so long! I also think we've all been spoiled by the candor of Lucky.
Anyway, so far I've only looked at the "shop" section of shovogue.tv, but there are also videos of fashion shows, tips on styling and makeup, and some other such stuff. I'm really just pumped about being able to see what the merch in ads is valued at. Surprisingly, it's not all Chloe and Dolce n' Gabbana - there are ads for stuff that's actually in my closet too. The only downside is that if it's not in an ad in Vogue, you can't see it on the site. The upside is that it seems every single ad is represented. You can actually see how much Nars lipstick costs (as if Sephora isn't my homepage).

Strangely, considering I'm no techie, the thing that surprised me the most was how quickly and seamlessly the site runs. I'm sure those Vogue Hos (and their techno-slaves) knew this site was going to cause an uproar, and they got a special server or whatever to make sure it would be up to Anna's standards. It's clear that this was an idea years in the making, and I must say, they did a pretty impressive job. For coke whores.

No comments: