Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Ode to the Mid-90s

I have mentioned on this thing before that there will always be a place in my heart for the decade of magic, the 1990s. More specifically, the mid-to-late era from about 1994-1998. So many great pop culture moments, so many scrunchies, so many memories.

When I was, young (like, too young to be interested in this at all) I was really into the movie The Net. It featured Sandra Bullock doing all kinds of wild stuff with a computer like, GASP!, ordering food over the internet! And communicating via instant message! Then there was this whole thing with a conspiracy and she has to chase down this hacker guy and it's all very terrible. Terribly AWESOME.

I used to make my mom rent The Net for me like, every other weekend. I'd sit in the living room and play with my Barbies and hope that one day I too could be as cool as Sandra Bullock. She was so kick ass back then. I'm also completely obsessed to this day with While You Were Sleeping - I know every line.BUT! We're talking about The Net. I keep my love for this oh-so-embarrassing movie a secret from most people, but today I was reading the Entertainment Weekly website and found this:Yeah, I know you can't read that. Basically this is a collection of EW employees' movies that they're embarrassed to love. Michel Slezak and I are obvs of the same ova, because I have never encountered another person who has a secret love affair with The Net. I can't express how happy I am that I'm not alone.

Also, back of the subject of WYWS (which now I compulsively have to watch, just from mentioning it) it is one of my all time favorite movies. My mom and I both know every word, and every time we eat mashed potatoes we look up at each other and say, "These mashed potatoes are so creamy." Amen.

No comments: