Monday, September 1, 2008

Obsessions: Part 27,458

School started last week. Blech! I have a pretty decent schedge, but I'm taking 18 hours (or do they call them credits here? I never know, but I'm pretty sure I just always say the wrong one) so that's kind of a bitch. I really like my classes though, and I have a job on Tuesdays that allows me a little break in the tedium. My first day is tomorrow. We shall see how that goes!

The thing about school starting again is that you have to re-introduce structure and responsibility to your life. This can be difficult and lead to frustration and, well, tears. I haven't cried or anything, but I know THREE kids who are starting kindergarten and perhaps they are crying. My whole summer was defined by children and childcare, so going back to being an actual adult college student has been both a relief and a huge WTF shockfest. As per usual, I have been finding solace and much needed space-outery in my material possessions, mainly beauty products. So, without further adieu (that's how I thought it went until I was ... older. You know, because goodbyes are always so drawn out? Yeah, whatever, screw you) ... my list of recent obsessions!


Clarisonic Skin Care System
Approx $200, Available at Sephora, spas
I recently switched my BC to Depo Provera, and it's working pretty great, but it made my skin look like fresh death. I whined to the gyn, and she was all, "uh, don't you use Clarisonic?!" I stared at her in disbelief and was like, "Dood. I know not what that is." She told me and I immediately went to the store and dropped $200 and, lemme tell you, it was the best $200 I have ever spent in my life. I have not needed to sleep with a mask of Euecerin Lotion on my face, nor step near any kind of exfoliator since purchasing the Clarisonic. It takes one minute, twice a day, and you can use it in the shower (it's waterproof). It's from the same people who make Sonicare toothbrushes, and follows the same theory, but for your face. i.e. soft, vibrating brush deep cleanses and exfoliates your skin until you look like Halle Berry.

Also, I have "Mens'" version, which is only different because it is gray (the reason I bought it) and all the literature inside talks about how I will get a "smoother shave" and "no more ingrown hairs!" It also comes in pink, which makes me want to vomit, and white, which I hear gets all smudgy from makeup, etc.


Organix Pomegranate and Green Tea Shampoo
Approx $5, Available exclusively at Target
I don't like fragrant things. I use scent free soap and detergent, and even my perfume is an un-scenty scent. My favorite flowers are daisies, mainly because they do not overwhelm the senses, even en mass. Certain scents, however, have become instant exceptions to my "no smelly shit" rule. This shampoo being one of them. Oh my sweet Lord this is the most delicious smelling shampoo. It is like a pomegranate wonderland of suds on my head each time I shower. I also love that the scent does not linger like an odorous halo above your head all day. Remember in middle school how you could tell which girls used Herbal Essences from five feet away? Yeah, I hated that.

Pixi Gel Eyeliner in Onyx
$18, Available exclusively at Target

You guys, Target is going high-end-ish in yet another way! The company that controls my life is now featuring cosmetics lines from three major names as of now only seen in magazines and Sephora. Napoleon Perdis, Jemma Kidd, and Pixi have all created lines for Tarjay. I recently purchased the Pixi Gel Eyeliner in Onyx and was pleasantly surprised by the great quality and packaging. I guess I wasn't surprised, more like assured - Target is the best big box in the universe, after all. I used to use Stila Smudge Pots, but this is so much more gel-y, and readily available. I haven't used the mini brush that came in the box, but I do use a slanted eyeliner brush that I got at Target that is equally fantastic.


OPI Nail Lacquer in Boris and Natasha
$8 or the cost of a manicure, Available at salons
I have one nail color that I have been wearing for at least three years. OPI's Lincoln Park After Dark. It is a deep purple, almost black, that looks great with my skintone, matches every outfit, and was immediately my signature color. At least, until this Saturday when I went with Mama T for manis n' pedis. I chose LPAD first, naturally, but I was drawn to another color for my phalanges. Boris and Natasha is now my second fave color, and I'm kind of loving it in tandem with LPAD on my toes. I will always be faithful to Lincoln Park After Dark, but I'm glad I tried something (just a smidge) different. It keeps life oh so exciting.

No comments: