Tuesday, November 4, 2008

All The Cool Kids Are Doing It.

 
This is really important, you guys. I don't care who you vote for or why you vote. I just care that you DO IT. There are people all over the world who don't have the rights we do. They can't vote, so they have no say in how their lives are affected by their government. It's like being all the other puppets who watch Pinocchio become a real boy, but never getting to cut your own strings. That was a terrible analogy, but I think you get what I mean. 
Yesterday in one of my classes it was revealed that about half the students did not plan on voting. When asked why, every answer given was completely retarded. Yeah, I said it. 
Just because a candidate doesn't fit your ideal, or you're uninformed, or you just don't care? Those are not reasons to abstain from this amazing opportunity. I find it really insulting that people have such petty reasons for blowing this off, completely unaware of just how fucking lucky they are. 
I say this as a person who registered to vote at the age of 21. I spent three years simply disregarding a right that was just given to me, when less than one hundred years ago women were fiercely battling to give me that right. Why did I not register? Because I was too lazy. I lived in a different state and would have had to vote absentee, and that was just too much work. I didn't realize that even being able to vote absentee is such an amazing luxury. I was only 2,000 miles away from Illinois, yet I could have been in Antarctica and still been able to exercise my right to have a say in how my country (and, let's face it, my life) is run.
 
The primary earlier this year was my first experience voting. And today was my first presidential election. And I can't wait to do it again.

No comments: