Thursday, May 27, 2010

To Flush Or Not To Flush?

In my last post I mentioned that, in my opinion, only a cuckoo would throw a used tampon in the trash as opposed to flushing it. It has been brought to my attention that apparently it is a terrible idea to flush tampons, as they clog the pipes and lead to mass destruction, plague, etc. I called bullshit on this theory at first, but my opponent had a good argument and my interest was peaked. Because of this revelation, I spent a good chunk of this evening researching the conundrum of whether we bleedin' ladies should flush or not. 

Turns out: NO ONE KNOWS. 

It's pretty much the consensus that if you're flushing into a septic tank you're going to jack it up with your lady business, but the jury is out on other types of plumbing situations. And to be fair, it does say on the tampon directions that you should dispose of tampons through flushing.  There's a lot of info out there, but the only concrete conclusion I can fully commit to is that there are some people out there who are passionate about the anti-tampon-flush crusade, and there are many who, like me, had no idea there was an issue with flushing tampons. I'd recommend doing some reading here (the most interesting/entertaining commentary I found). That is, if you're as interested in period politics as I am. 

No comments: