Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Tom Tom Club


I have a love/hate relationship with Toms shoes. On one hand, they're totally ugly. Plus, I have never seen them look good on anyone. AND, I think you have to have negative ankles for the whole covering-your-entire-foot-in-canvas look to really work.

But they look really comfortable. And when it comes to comfy things, I'll rationalize all kinds of fugly. See: Crocs, Uggs, and the fact that I grew out my hair so I could shower less.

But now we're getting off topic. I have just discovered that there is a catch to Toms! They're ugly shoes with a conscience! Apparently, for every pair of Toms sold, one pair is sent to a shoeless, starving African. Or something.

At first I thought, "Oh, that's nice. In an American Apparel sneaky marketing kind of way." Then I thought about it longer and came up with the revelation that Toms are so simple and, let's face it, NOT worth $30 because half of their inventory is being sent to Africa! Which is a little bogus. It's all very reminiscent of Hurricane Katrina if you ask me. Plus, the guy who makes them is named Blake. Poseur alert!

No comments: