Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Beyonce v. Buzz Lightyear

I can't walk by a Club Libby Lu or watch videos of puppies on YouTube without hearing Beyonce's smash hit "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)." It's everywhere! The song is confusing at best: Is she a bad feminist? What do the lyrics really mean? Isn't Beyonce becoming kind of a bug-a-boo? And then the video! Why does she have a robot hand? Why is she dancing in an all-white capsule?

I have the answer.

Beyonce is passionately obsessed with Buzz Lightyear. And here's my proof:

1. The robot hand.
I don't know if the robot hand is a glove or what engagement rings of the future are supposed to look like. It's not like the video gives it any context either. But there is a connection to a certain Star Command captain. Here's a shot of Beyonce's robotic appendage:
And here's Buzz in his spacesuit:
Clearly from these two photos both Beyonce and Buzz have not only similar taste in accessories, but also dance moves.

2. Passion for Outer Space
We know Buzz Lightyear is a fan of intergalactic travel. How else would he defeat the evil Emperor Zurg?! But Beyonce seems to have both feet on terra firma. Until the Single Ladies video that is.
I feel like I've seen a non-set like this before in some movie or another...
Ooooh, right.

3. Catchphrase
Buzz Lightyear will forever be known for two things: Marking the beginning of the end of Tim Allen's career, and providing us with the catchphrase, "To infinity and beyond!"

Beyonce must be really into Buzz Lightyear, because in her own video she gives his catchphrase a little shout-out at the 2:17 mark:


Here's a taste of the lyrics, for those of you who don't want to wade through the vid:
Don't treat me to these things of this world
I'm not that kind of girl
Your love is what I prefer, what I deserve
Here's a man that makes me then takes me
And delivers me to a destiny, to infinity and beyond

Also, B's not into "These things of this world," eh? Neither is Buzz. He even almost choked to death from Earth's atmosphere when Woody forced off his helmet.

I hope it's clear to you all that Beyonce is either obsessed with Buzz Lightyear, or that she wishes to absorb his fame into her own and use it to control the world. Either way, I think my work here is done.

1 comment:

Sadie Gennis said...

I don't even know how you make these connections, but I like it.