Thursday, January 6, 2011

My Best Dreams Are Based on Musicals of the 50s and 60s

As we all (should) know, America's favorite silver fox and glass closet resident Anderson Cooper is getting a daytime talk show, to be named Anderson.

Anderson Cooper is a great journalist, and has covered some pretty amazing stories as a "serious" newsman. Still, he's at his best when he's co-hosting NYE with Kathy Griffin or a guest on any number of fun talk shows (like my latest obsession, Watch What Happens Live). I'm pretty jazzed about Andy's show, and I'm planning on making the baby I nanny for during the day watch it with me, or record it at home. Probably both.

Last night I had a dream about the perfect theme song for the opening of Anderson. First, a little background. I don't know if you've seen the 1952 classic Hans Christian Andersen, starring Danny Kaye in the title role. It was on pretty heavy rotation during my childhood, and I reference it with odd frequency. Sadie and I once flew through Copenhagen, and I sang this song the whole time. By the time we were actually IN Copenhagen, I even had Sadie singing it, and she's never seen the movie. (Don't get me started on all the classic musicals Sadie hasn't seen. Like The Sound of Music. Really.)

In one of the first songs of Hans Christian Andersen, our title character sings, "I'm Hans Christian Andersen. Andersen! That's who!" So in my dream, the opening of Anderson Cooper's show has him dancing around with the instrumentals from this song, and then at the right moment Coop sings, "ANDERSON! That's who!"

I'm thinking of writing a letter to Andy proposing this. It's pretty genius. And pretty gay.

No comments: